Thursday, January 19, 2012

Reflecting in paradise

People find it strange when I tell them that I was looking forward to coming back to Saba... I really started to built my life here, calling it my home (away from home) and getting back into my school, study, eat, run, sleep routine. I've settled here and I love the experience... it's my paradise.

Since being back I've had my mind set on some school specific goals. My mom sent me an email a few weeks ago about reflecting on the past year and moving forward. It's a list of things from David Allen, the founder of "GTD: getting things done". An organization which talks about ways in managing your life the way you want to. He has some great ideas if you feel in reflective/goal setting mood. Anyways, I wanted to share his questions for the new year with you....


  • What would you like to be your biggest triumph in 2012?
    • graduate from the basic science program at Saba feeling that I have tried my best and feeling satisfied with my efforts for this part of my medical school journey.
  • What advice would you like to give yourself in 2012?
    • "when you think you've reached your maximum potential, you haven't. Keep pushing."
  • What is the major effort you are planning to improve your financial results in 2012?
    • hahaha. Try to stay as much out of my loan as possible. Student living is a pretty big priority
  • What would you be most happy about completing in 2012?
    • well I think this one goes along with the biggest triumph but I also would be ecstatic to finish a half marathon (one of the goals I've set for myself - will be running in October if all goes well!)
  • What major indulgence are you willing to experience in 2012?
    • traveling. Traveling is my addicting fascination. I love immersing myself into a different culture and experiencing different ways of life. I think it's an essential opportunity to learn about interacting with people and opening up to understanding the world. (I know this is a vague answer but I am thinking of doing a post after exams about traveling and what it really means to me -- I've been thinking about it quite a bit lately)
  • What would you most like to change about yourself in 2012?
    • become more aware of my surroundings and less clumsy in day to day tasks - I think they go hand in hand haha. I think I will keep the more personal ones to myself :)
  • What are you looking forward to learning in 2012?
    • integrating all my science knowledge with clinical diagnosis. I'm loving the application side of medicine!
  • What do you think your biggest risk will be in 2012?
    • hmmm. I think I will substitute risk with challenge. Soooo that will definitely constitute of taking the USMLE Step 1 test which will determine the rest of my life. Not scary at all, right? 
  • What about your work are you most committed to changing and improving in 2012?
    • more efficient study habits. I'm definitely getting the hang of "smart studying" but there is still a lot of work to be done.
  • What is one as yet undeveloped talent you are willing to explore in 2012?
    • I love the sound of an acoustic guitar but I don't come from a musical family so as a kid I grew up with sports and physical activity rather than music. I've given up on singing (trust me that's a good thing!) but maybe playing the guitar will be a thing I can try?
  • What brings you the most joy and how are you going to do or have more of that in 2012?
    • pursuing my dream...
  • Who or what, other than yourself, are you most committed to loving and serving in 2012?
    • 2012 will be about being selfish. Yes, I know this sounds like the 'wrong' thing to say but for those of you who know me will probably agree that it is a good thing. I've always been the type of person to go out of my way to help someone out - even if it interfered with some of my plans - so this year I am dedicating myself to myself. I need to focus on my goals... this one is going to be tough.
  • What one word would you like to have as your theme in 2012?
    • Passion. (strength and motivation with a pinch of zeal.)

Your turn to start thinking.

8 comments:

  1. hi

    Best blog yet..... keep it up


    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above comment. Best post on your blog so far. Definitely leaves you thinking.

    NIkita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ilinca. NetLab misses you. Please come visit when you return. Your blogs are fabulous. You have a career as a med school diarist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I just love the entire blog, and esepecially this post. I haven't applied to Saba yet, but will be applying this fall and I have to say, the way that you've layed out your experience on the island encourages me even more to pursue this route. Thanks so much, from a fellow Torontonian and aspiring MD :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Yet another great post! I am wondering about your point on loans - (1) were you able to secure a student loan or one from bank?; (2) If you don't mind me asking, were you able to secure a loan to fund your entire educationa and living expenses at SABA with a loan or did you have additional savings? and (3) do you have any colleagues at medical schools who were able to fund their education and expenses entirely through a loan? Please let me know.

    With deep gratitude,

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for reading. To answer your question is a little hard but most of my living and financial expenses have been funded through a (rather steep) loan along with some great support from my parents for which I was very lucky! Most of my friends have loans and are pretty much on the same track as me ... between 150 000 - 200 000+ in debt when we finish.

      Delete
  6. Hello Everybody, My name is.Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $ 73,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $ 73,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Dr Purva Pius via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete