Sunday, March 17, 2013

Accepting the inevitable

I haven't posted in a while, but I would like to get back into it very soon. I am almost done my psychiatry rotation... much has happened so with a little more motivation and time management I will stop to reflect in the next couple of days.

...For now I wanted to share this particular video by Dr. Alejandro Jadad (with whom I've had the great pleasure of working with). He touches on such a simple idea, yet it is unbelievably thought provoking. I took the time to watch and then spent a good portion of my night trying to wrap my mind around it. Mortality. Yes, we all know that we do not live forever but do we take life for granted if/when we are younger? Can we ever reach that state of acceptance he talks about? Are we ever going to be completely happy that we have done everything we wanted to?



Dr. Alejandro Jadad | Acceptance from Maysie on Vimeo.


Just some food for thought to start the week off right :)

PS. sorry to those who have posted comments recently. I will get to answering them this week... promise!

7 comments:

  1. Hey,

    I have a few questions about your clinical process
    1) When did you get your clinical rotations placement?
    2) Where are you now for psychiatry?
    3) If your placement is not in your hometown, how did you find a place to live?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi C,

      1) you receive your placements after you write the required research paper and it is approved by a committee as well as your mentor (the paper is usually written after you have sat for your step 1).
      2) I am doing my psychiatry and internal medicine rotation in Baltimore MD.
      3) None of my rotations will be my hometown unless I am able to get an elective back in toronto... currently I used craigslist. The school and hospitals also have a list of housing options for students but most of us use the "word of mouth" strategy. When you are on the island you make friends with many others above your semester so when you get to the rotations you may know people who have already done the same placement as you. Student recommendations are always the best.

      IDL

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Thank you so much for your blog! I am starting this May MD and your blog has really helped me get a very good view of the medical school on the island! Congratulation on starting the clinical rotation in Maryland, I know the amount of dedication and hard work has pretty much payed off by now and it is really encouraging and motivating me more to try my best during the 2 years here. Keep up the good work!and pls don't stop blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment!! Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I hope you had a successful first semester full of Saba adventures!
      best of luck and keep reading/commenting!
      IDL

      Delete
  4. Hello IDL,
    I came across your blog and it is so funny because my daughter finished Basic Science in Saba in Dec. 2012, she is ready to start rotations this Sept in NY, she will be at sheppart Pratt in Nov, we know very well Octavian Paler (say buna ziua to your mom from me). In Dec when my daughter completed Basic science we went there for a week vacation and we had a great time. And we live in Toronto as well. So many similar things isn't it? Good luck and all the best. Co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! thank you for leaving a comment. Best of luck to your daughter in her rotations. Sheppard Pratt is a great experience! If you have any questions or would like to contact me just leave me your email and I will happily reply :)

      I will send the message to my mom

      IDL

      Delete