Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A quick update!



First off, thank you so much for keeping connected!! I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while (everything is going great!) but I have tried to keep up with answering your comments and questions.

I stopped posting due to the interview/ match season that started in September. Interviews have recently wrapped for me and am currently teasing out the last of my rank order list. Then the waiting begins... which will be the hardest part I think.

For those of you unfamiliar with the process of a medical student obtaining a residency, here is the simplified version:

- finish four years of medical school
- apply to your desired specialty
- Sept-Feb: interview across the country (expenses are mostly out of pocket)
- Feb: create a list of the programs you interviewed at by preference of where you would like to train
- Match Week: basically a match up between the hospitals and the candidates (both form lists of who they would like) and the computerized algorithm "matches" you up. We find out if & where we are placed the week of March 16!

I promise to reflect on the entire process and give as much advice as possible once that Match Week is over.
Until then please feel free to post questions and other comments as I have been checking back regularly

sincerely,
IDL

PS. I have officially finished medical school rotations! Feels great to have hit such a milestone, but I think it will all sink in once I get that email in March. For now, I have decided to stick around Louisiana (where I finished my last two electives) to enjoy the culture and festivals of Mardi Gras before making the long road trip home for the last time!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations! That's super amazing...I'm so glad to see your hard work wheeling up to a career in medicine! Well done :)

    Did you end up interviewing all over the US or in Canada too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did not apply to Canada. It was a personal choice with numerous reasons which I can go into once the whole process is over :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats! I'm a Saba student as well and just started my rotations. I have followed your blog ever since I got started on the "rock" and it has been great to see what they journey looks like from beginning to end over this period of time. You have been a great source of motivation to keep pushing through all the obstacles. Thank you for that. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats - as a fellow SUSOM student completing 3rd year rotations, it's always nice to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to hearing about the whole match process in greater detail once the winds have subsided on your end! Thank you for providing us with valuable information all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a 1st semester student at Saba and have been working my way through your blog entries for the last few months. Thanks for putting so much of yourself out there. It's interesting to read about what to expect here on Saba and for clinicals. Good luck and I hope you get the residency you want the most!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finishing your rotations! I too have been following your blog since I started my journey on Saba 2.5 years ago. Thank you for writing about your experiences and keeping us all motivated through this journey! Wishing you the best results come Match day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I am a fellow Canadian graduating this spring. I'm looking into SABA and was wondering if I could pick your brain and ask some questions about your experience!
    My email is e.segstro@gmail.com

    Thanks!
    Best of luck next week!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any updates/post on the match?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Halyard Mask is a Fluidshield soft procedure Mask which is comfortable to wear. For all your Dental Supplies visit Optimus Dental Supply.

    ReplyDelete