Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Adjusting. Maybe…


 This week has been as crazy as the past two; 80 slide lectures in 2 hours and never-ending muscles, nerves, veins and arteries to memorize. I’ve already mentioned the crazy amount of information we are expected to know from one anatomy lecture… and you will probably hear me say it over and over again. But somehow I think my brain is adjusting to the information overload. It’s making more sense in class and memorizing has become much easier J

On the other hand, last night my roommate, Pooja, and I decided to cook a beef pilaf with vegetables. This past weekend we both concluded that we have the same taste and similar style of cooking (not to mention we both like to know what is in our food and eat ‘real food’ not the meal plans offered by the school which includes burgers, fries, pizza and pop for every meal!). Anyways we were so excited for the beef we had bought since the staff said it makes great stew. So we chopped up our vegetables and meat, combined everything with some salt, pepper, chicken broth, and indian spices to give it some more taste and let it simmer with the rice for 1.5 hours. (as a side note, I totally misjudged the amount of rice I put in and the pot started overflowing. I think we have rice to last us for a good two weeks now – dinner party anyone?) The smells were amazing. So I took a fork and sampled a piece of rice. Great taste. Then a piece of meat…. And I could not bite into it. It was like chewing rubber!! I was so confused. I’ve seen my grandma make beef pilaf so many times at home and her meat never tasted, well… like tires. I called Pooja to the kitchen, she tried the meat and started laughing.

(I was also talking to my boyfriend on skype at the time and asked him if he knew a way to make the beef edible. His answer? Throw it out and get new beef. Hahaha. Thanks for the genius advice :P)

So we ended up taking out all the meat pieces and boiled them separately. 30 minutes passed by. Still rubber. An hour. An hour and a half. Still rubber. TWO hours. The meat finally become edible after 2 hours of extra boiling.

Ugh. This island makes cooking sooo much more difficult, experimental and innovative. Cutting meat with a serrated knife, chopping vegetables with no chopping board, making sunny side eggs on a foreman grill so it doesn’t stick and placing a frying pan with a handle in the oven since we don’t have a cooking pan.
I’m sure most of you living at home are laughing at us by now – I would be too!

Definitely an experiment gone wrong.
I think I might become a vegetarian for the next 2 years.

2 comments:

  1. Ilinca ,am postat un comentariu pe o alta pagina, cauta-l ! Inca odata sper sa ne intalnim pe skype. Lui tudor i-am propus duminica 30 ian ora 12 am (la Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
  2. multumesc pentru idea cu pui!! O-sa o incercam cind mai facem de mincare. O sa fiu astazi si mine pe skype la 7pm ora voastra (la mine este 1pm). Vorbim in curind!! :)

    ReplyDelete