Monday, January 3, 2011

I made it!

I am finally on the island after much hectic traveling and luggage-less days I am safe and sound in the campus library preparing for my first day of class tomorrow.

A lot has happened since I was cut off from the virtual world so please be warned that this post might be a little messy as my thoughts are definitely all over the place.

Here goes...

I arrived in St. Maarten with absolutely no problems except that my white board that I was carrying on the plane fell on a lady as the overhead compartment opened mid-flight. Other than that the flight was not too exciting. Unfortunately this is NOT the best time to go to the caribbean as everyone on the plane was in vacation mode already... and so were the hotel prices!

Firday was the most adventurous day. I took a 20 person plane to the island of Saba where my medical school is located. This was the smallest plane I had ever been on; there were no curtains separating the cockpit and the passengers - at least the pilots looked very friendly! If you picture a really high rollercoaster above water you can imagine my 15 minute plane ride. The landing was horrifying as the runway on Saba is one lane with Xs marked on either side. It is known to be the shortest runway in the world!! Did I mention that it is surrounded by jagged cliffs and water on both sides. Another fun fact: there was some kind of alarm that went off as soon as we were approaching the landing strip. (I am not sure if that is normal but it didn't help with the nerves).

The rest of the day I spent hiking and exploring the island, meeting my new classmates and celebrating new years in a local bar! It turned out to be a surprisingly amazing start to the new year even though I really missed my friends and family from back home.
One thing is for sure, you do NOT need a gym to go and work out. The hills/mountains on Saba are enough to get your heart pumping and make you out of breath with a mere 10 minute walk to the grocery store. Going back home and walking on flat ground will be a breeze after 3 months on this rocky island :)

As for today, which was our orientation, we met some of our professors and got registered with the school system. I am still sitting at the library attempting to download all my course lecture notes and have not succeeded...yet.

Sending the warm island breeze and wishing you a happy new years!
Stay tuned for pictures of Saba, the unspoiled queen of the Dutch Caribbean.

1 comment:

  1. Ti am citit pe blog despre experienta din bucatarie{vai,nereusita}si bunica iti da un sfat:incearca cu piept de pui taiat bucatele mici,o ceapa,ardei,putin ulei,sare,piper si putina apa sau supa de pui si se fierbe o jumatate de ora. Orezul se fierbe separat si apoi se amesteca cu carnea.Pofta buna ! Sper sa ne intalnim pe skype

    ReplyDelete