Sunday, May 26, 2013

"The" one.

Choosing a specialty is like finding the one person you want to spend the rest of your life with...at least I consider it with as much importance. It will dictate your career, lifestyle and opportunities. It will send your life in a certain direction ... surgery versus family medicine will make a difference. It is not just about deciding whether to be a doctor because that was an easy decision, it is now time to really define the rest of my life.

Like I have mentioned before, the follow up question I always get to "what do you do?" is "what kind of doctor do you want to become?"

As  I have always had a passion for surgery, I have been going back and forth on it being my top choice because I am also trying to consider the lifestyle I want to lead further down the road, thatis, one of balance (traveling, keeping active, research, family etc.) Should I choose something I am truly passionate about or a path that would guarantee me more free time away from the hospital? Is there a way to do both?

In the last few days I've had the opportunity to scrub in on a short surgical procedure for one of the patients I was following on the internal medicine floor. I am enjoying the internal medicine rotation, however in the past month and a half I have spent in it I have to confess that I have never been so excited to come back to the hospital (after a full 12 hour shift, mind you) to scrub in for that procedure! It was exhilarating and inspiring...I got those butterflies in my stomach and I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face, even if it was after an 18 hour day. It made me think why not do both? Why can't it be both? I have worked hard at becoming a doctor thus far and chose to take this path with no reservations - which does come with sacrifices - so should I settle for something I would like or something I would love? I figure if I am loving what I do, I can (eventually) take charge and make time for how I want to live my life as well... it might take a while before I am able to reach that point in my career but wouldn't it be worth it?
I don't yet have the answer yet but I thought I would share my thoughts and would love to hear some feedback from you!


8 comments:

  1. your blog is sooooo addicting!!!!!!!!!!! been thinking of having saba as my second option so wanted to know how life as MD student is at saba. SO I hope this doesn't creep you out but I just spend my weekend ( which I should have spend studying for the MCAT) looking through your life at saba........ good luck with your decision I know you will make the right one

    I WILL BE BACK FOR YOUR NEXT POST


    NK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha thank you NK. Stay focused on MCAT, it will be worth it in the end. Good luck studying.

      Delete
  2. Ilinca, Remember the saying, "Jack of all trades, and master of none." You've always wanted to be a surgeon. If it is still your dream, and you know you will be good at it, follow your bliss. With admiration, as always. Barry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Can't wait to catch up when I am back in town for a bit.
      sending many virtual hugs!!

      Delete
  3. Can u please tell me how much loan I need to apply for to cover the whole duration? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please see the school's website (or email them) for the new tuition quotes.

      Delete
  4. sorry my question was vague.

    How much u think I need per month for food, internet, books, supplies, transportation (if any), what other expenses I have to expect?

    What is the best flying route from Toronto?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everybody, My name is.Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $ 73,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $ 73,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Dr Purva Pius via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete