Monday, August 19, 2013

On to the next one...

I wrote my last post almost a month ago - I can't seem to keep up with the blogging.

Third year seems to be becoming a blur.

As much as it is exciting to be in the hospital, you rotate through each specialty so quickly.  As I am getting comfortable and familiar with my surroundings, the rotation is over and I am thrown into another. Sometimes it seems I just need to keep my head above water long enough for my next day off to come. Working 6 days a week since February with a total of 3 weekends off has taken a toll. Might I add that the "day off" is spent guiltily sleeping in and then franticly studying for the next exam.
Needless, to say it can/has been frustrating and exhausting to feel lost most of the time - while trying to keep an external calm and having the classic "medical student enthusiasm".

I have already finished my first week of paediatrics.
Here is peds in a nut shell: adorably cute kids that are ALWAYS screaming/ crying and come in with full blown colds that get you sick (and give you headaches!). Lessons learned so far? new found respect for parenting!
... but I'd rather tell you about the last little while in florida.

I finished 6 weeks of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Ob/Gyn) and LOVED it. I think I may have found my specialty. The rotation was mostly an inpatient experience as I only spent 2 days in the outpatient clinic, however it was my choice as I wanted to get as much hands on learning as I could. I became a sponge for wanting to learn too much in very little time. I couldn't help myself, I took two 26 hour calls that were voluntary and worked 12+ hours/day. I may have over-indulged! But I had great attendings teach and trust me to perform procedures on patients. To give you a little glimpse... I learned to actually deliver babies with my own two hands (what an incredible experience! To hold someone in their first moments of life and be part of that new family), I was taught how to close fascia and skin, admit patients on my own, read and interpret fetal and maternal monitoring strips, make first incisions, drain cysts and scrubbed in/assist on numerous surgical cases.... the list can keep going but I'm afraid I will start using too much medical lingo ... then I would lose my readers for sure.

If you can't tell that I am excited then here is a picture to prove it. This was taken on one of my last days working with a doctor that I have grown to look up to (she truly invested her time in teaching and showing me everything she could). This was taken after she had let me close fascia and skin after a c-section and perform a quick surgical procedure called marsupialization on my own (with her guidance of course!). Such a rush.

I found ob/gyn to be the perfect combination of primary care in which you can develop a relationship with your patients, hands-on work that is not too time demanding in the OR (most procedures are < 2 hours) and a specialty which I can take the skills I learn and contribute elsewhere, where maternal health resources are needed. This specialty would allow me to continue pursuing my interest in international health (and even link my undergrad genetics studies). There are so many (too many?) possibilities.

Hollywood beach boardwalk
Other than rotations I have not had much time to explore Florida, unfortunately. But I hope to do so in the coming weeks... I am however a 5 min drive to the beach and boardwalk which has become my new running route as soon as I get used to the humidity here - you'd think I would be used to it from Saba, no?
mom and I at the beach after our 17 hour road trip!
Obviously this is the first place we would go to :)




Dinner with friends before they left for their next rotation.

My new favourite study spot.
Poolside studying can work...sometimes




















One thing I find is hard to get used to is all the moving around. As much as it is exciting and amazing to have all this opportunity to travel and temporarily live in places I would never think of going, my friends and I have Skype friendships now. Sometimes we even Skype if we are in the same city doing different rotations. Everyone has such a different (and hectic) schedule that it is hard to find to maintain those friendships in person... unless we meet up for study sessions!
I look at all this moving around as travel opportunities and times of adventure... but sometimes, just sometimes, I feel like a lot of people my age are starting their life. "settling down" so to speak which seems like a comforting idea. Being away from close friends and family can be isolating. Moving from place to place with no real 'home' can also be isolating. Always studying can become lonely.

Just some thoughts.

To end off on a more positive (and super cool!) note, here is something I found today :)

If you want to follow his adventure here is the link to his blog: http://www.hankboughtabus.com

18 comments:

  1. Still enjoying your postings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read your posts! goodluck every rotation you are one step away from your dream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! hope you keep reading (even if my posts are becoming more scarce)

      Delete
  3. Your blog has been incredibly helpful to me and I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and comments like these keep me writing!

      Delete
  4. thank you for writing this - you write about both the benefits and the hardships of what you had to go through. You definitely have what it takes to become a doctor, just writing this blog to help others already shows your compassion and willingness to help others succeed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, I never really thought about it like that.

      Delete
  5. Hey there!
    I am starting med school in January. Do clinical rotations have start dates January, May or September? or do clinical rotation start whenever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saba has implemented a new rule that you have to start rotations at the same time as their semesters on the island (ie January, May and September). Each hospital has their own start dates but it is usually the first monday of every month...

      Delete
  6. Hey! I'm also starting clinicals soon. Still waiting for my paper to be approved :)
    I was wondering if you know any good place for FM...and also maybe the contact info. I heard Wheeling is good. Let me know! Sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You are almost there! I have yet to do a family rotation and so I haven't inquired about a good rotation spot (although Im sure they are all decent rotations - usually the clinical experience is what you make of it). I suggest you also look up and join the saba clinical facebook groups... there's discussion about family rotations there. Good luck with the paper process!

      Delete
  7. How difficult was it to schedule rotations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, Core rotations (Psych, Surgery, Internal Medicine, Peds, Ob/Gyn) were surprisingly easy to schedule. I don't know many people who had problems with scheduling and most were done back-to-back. The only set back would be if you are very picky on where you want to rotate and the order in which you want to do them. I tend to think Saba does pretty well to accommodate everyone as long as you tell them what you need. 4th year elective rotations are more of a hassle because of applications/ paperwork.

      Delete
  8. Hi there! First of all, thank you so much for taking your time to write this blog. I am also a Canadian from UofT going to MUA Med1 in January. I was looking up on the web about the differences between Jan/May/Sept admission and the advantages/disadvantages for clinical rotation and residency match. I wonder if you could leave your e-mail so I can ask you several questions and advices? I appreciate your help!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, congratulations on the admission! I'd prefer you leave a comment with your email and I will contact you. I would like to avoid an email ambush from other blog readers on my personal account as much as possible ... but I will be happy to help.
      the start dates refer to how much time you have to finish 3rd and 4th year along with the required examinations. The January start time offers you the most time when apply for the residency while the september start time would be the tightest timeline although still doable. To give you an idea... I started in January and if I do back to back 4th year elective rotations, I will be "graduated" by January 2015 and have 6 months off before beginning residency in July.

      Delete
  9. Great post, you have pointed out some superb details, I will tell my friends that this is a very informative blog thanks


    Kaplan Lecture Notes Usmle Step 2 Ck 2014

    ReplyDelete
  10. infertility for easy Conception. (No more adoption, with Dr Itua your problem will solve and you will have your child with ease.I have been blog Sites for a while now and today i felt like i should share my story because i was a victim too. I had endometriosis for 18 years and i never thought i would ever get a cure due to the terrible symptoms i had and this made it impossible for me to get pregnant even after 12 years of marriage and it was a serious issue. I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cure and let her contact details, i contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and i decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 this december and also I was suffering from brain cancer which I also explain to Dr Itua so he prepared herbal medicine for me which I drank for two weeks to cure my brian cancer so if you are suffering from any kind of diseases you can contact Dr Itua herbal center to get your cure successfully, i am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Epilepsy, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Lupus, ALS, HPV, Erectile dysfunction, Menstrual Cramp, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach his on (drituaherbalcenter@gmail. com Or Whatsapp Number..+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital issues.

    ReplyDelete