Friday, July 29, 2011

2 weeks.

I will be home in 2 weeks.
I will have completed semester 2 of my basic sciences in 2 weeks.
... sigh... just 2 weeks.

Now that I think of it, it went by rather quickly. But quickly doesn't mean it was easy. Who am I kidding? it was one of the hardest things I've ever been through! I don't want to scare anyone who is keen on coming to medical school but I am realistic. (It is medical school after all. If it was easy everyone would get in and become a doctor). In the end, it's a unique and amazing ride.


On wednesday night a group of us got together and went to a 'fancy' restaurant on the island called Eden. It was actually an amazing night. Great food with good company and a glass of wine made the evening just perfect. It felt like we were back in the real (social) world - even if it was only for a couple of hours. We laughed until we cried and then joked that our face muscles weren't used to this much change in expression since studying only leaves you with one great look: 'the blank stare'. You know, the one where you are trying so hard to understand what the prof is saying that you just look like a complete idiot for starring at him so long without blinking. Haha, it was pretty funny and great to be surrounded by people from all walks of life who are going through the exact same thing as you. Being able to relate to someone has helped me get through some tough times on Saba... especially when you are not near your family and close friends.

Getting to know my classmates has pushed me into going back to some old habits - like fuelling my curiosity, getting inspired, finding new interests and creating dreams of what I want to accomplish in life. I have come across some fantastic sites and blogs that inspired me to create a page where I can express and continue to explore my MANY interests and hobbies!
So keep a look out for a new page on the blog which will essentially act like a side blog! Really excited to be starting this and I look forward to your feedback.

(I wil obviously continue to post about Saba and medical school)
Oh, 4th set of exams were difficult and caused our class size to decrease even more which is really sad to see. Fortunately, I survived and am really excited to be moving on to third semester (neurology, immunology, microbiology, psychology and ethics).

4 comments:

  1. congrats on finishing another semester! in no time you'll be back in the states full time. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was just curious what was the size of your class when you first started? How many people do you have now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous: in first semester we started with 110. I think we will be in the high 50s going into third semester. Although you do have to take into consideration those that decided to drop one class for personal reasons, those that left because they decided medicine wasn't for them or they didn't like the island... there were many reasons people dropped, it was not just because the curriculum is difficult.

    ReplyDelete