Wednesday, July 6, 2011

that's it, I'm moving on.

Needless to say, the third blocks of exams in 2nd semester are the worst. Too much material in too little time, along with the tests being difficult and testing the little details which you thought were not important given the amount of material. I was warned by friends from upper semesters so I studied like I've never studied before! I actually didn't leave my apartment from Friday afternoon after classes until monday morning (the day of 3 exams!). I admit I was scared and nervous... and then disappointed when I didn't see the results I wanted. It felt like I studied for nothing! BUT my whole class was in the same boat. Half the class failed genetics and biochemistry (a fail is below a 75). So I guess that's supposed to make me feel better - but not really. I set my standards high to begin with so that I work harder to get where I want to be. This definitely didn't happen this block...

I was devastated after exam #3 (physiology). I wanted to curl up and just forget about it. Easier said than done. Couldn't nap, couldn't study for the exam the next day; I couldn't do anything but think of what happened. I think we all get to this point at one time or another. You know, the one where all you want to do is hide from the world and eat (or whatever you do that makes you feel better). Unfortunately medical school doesn't give you time to recuperate. We had an epidemiology exam the next day along with 2 classes that started teaching new material. 
So what did I learn? I think I learned how to move on. Pick up the shattered pieces of disappointment and anger and keep going. I actually went to the gym and had one of the hardest workouts ever. Ran longer, lifted more weights than usual, did more reps of everything. I could barely walk out of the gym but it I felt better afterwards. I slept like a baby and got to de-stress... even though I took it out on my own body. That's okay, right?

well, that's it. I'm moving on from the nightmare of semester 3, block 3.

PS. even with this disaster, I survived all three exams which puts me in a good place for the end of the semester. I can safely assume that I will be moving on to 3rd semester :) (but let's not jinx it!)

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry, you're almost done and that's what matters. Good job on passing all your courses because that itself is a huge challenge! Thanks for keeping us updated and providing insight into your journey =) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! Thanks for the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, firstly I wanted to say that I love your blog! I will be starting at Saba in January 2012 and it has been a tremendous help to me (especially the packing list!). However, the 50% failure rate scared me a little... I graduated from a very intense biomedical program at McGill University so I am no stranger to hard work, stress, and sleep deprivation but at the same time I am very nervous about failing (especially with all the sacrifices my family has made to get me here). How would you compare the work load at Saba to your undergrad at U of T? What would you say is the key to succeeding at Saba? Thank you so much and congratulations on your studies so far!

    ReplyDelete