Saturday, February 12, 2011

clear head

For those of you who know me know I love to run. You can probably say that I am addicted to running. The sensation you get when your body takes over and your mind just stops is unbelievable. I run because it clears my head. I forget about reality, stress from school and everything else I need to get done. It's just me and the road. It doesn't matter where the end is or even if it's near - my legs just keeps going.

Yesterday, I went for a run outside for the first time since I got to Saba. It was absolutely breathtaking; stunning; I was left in awe and overtaken by emotion. Pure, natural beauty. I had to stop and stare. Looking down was a rocky cliff covered in sparse vegetation. All around I was surrounded by the Caribbean sea with the sun about to set. It's very hard to describe but if you would've been there you would've been speechless too. I was completely alone and yet not scared - not scared to look out and see nothing but water ahead; no one around me. The songs of crickets and birds singing filled the air. All I could do is just stand there and just be present. I didn't have to think about anything. (this is one of the hardest things to do when you are washed up in the daily grind of work and school).

Amazing.

I would encourage everyone to try and reach this kind of sense of self... running is my hobby but maybe it can be achieved through yoga or meditation. Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

I will be sure to bring my camera with me next time I go - hopefully tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Hello! Just a note to say I love your blog. I found it randomly but am a Canadian and will probably be going to Saba next September. It is great to see what life is like there and hear that you are doing well and able to handle it. I hope you keep up the blog and will post lots when you get to clinicals. I have found it hard to find blogs from Canadians talking about their clinical and residency experience. Anyway I'm rambling! Great blog and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Ilinca, still mind and spirit are amazing experiences that can be achieved in various ways...Namaste!
    Doina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am citit blogul tau siam vazut

    pozele pe fb.Foarte bine ca nu ai

    renuntat la miscarea in aer liber ca face bine
    ,
    BUnicii.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are so full of life.....we celebrate this vitality with you! Keep up the posts. We wish you well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much everyone! keep reading I will be posting again tonight after going to a Zumba class tonight!! i'm very excited :)

    @Anonymous: I'm glad you found it. keep reading and if you have any questions about Saba just send me comment and I will be happy to answer them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ilinca! I just read your blogs and I'm glad to see that you're enjoying it. (even the workloads, it seems). The island looks gorgeous and your cooking is looking better and better. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

    Stefan

    P.S. the white coat really suites you

    ReplyDelete