Sunday, March 20, 2011

Block Weekend Rant


Block weekend is known around campus as the weekend of stress! No sun, no down time, no socializing. Block weekend is the time to solidify all that you have struggled to learn in the past two and half weeks.

I went to ‘My Store’ (the grocery store in The Bottom) after class on Friday and bumped into pretty much my entire class! We were all stocking up for the weekend with study snacks, energy drinks and quick frozen meals. The life of a student on a low budget.. great! My question is how are we supposed to eat healthy? We barely have time to cook and if we do it costs an arm and a leg from our bank loan to buy fresh vegetables…

So to the incoming class I would like to say: prepare to be spending double what you are spending on your weekly budget for food. The prices on Saba are higher, especially if you want fresh vegetables and snacks that remind you of home. My advice? Bring as many of your favorite non-perishable snacks as possible. (granola bars, nut mixes, almonds, dried fruit, powder mix for juice, cooking spices etc). You will find most of the foods you eat at home at the grocery stores on Saba but they may be a different brand.

The best day to go shopping is on Wednesday when the new grocery shipment comes in! Milk, bread, yogurt run out fast so be sure to go before Friday – if not there is always a trip to Big Rock (the bigger grocery store in Windward). All in all food is okay as long as you are not too picky. There is a pizza restaurant that delivers before 6:30 and there are a couple options close to campus like the school cafeteria, the coffee house and a Chinese restaurant. Just don’t come with expectations that the food will be the same as home… Chicken, pork chops, burgers and fish are okay. I would stay away from the BEEF!! It’s very stringy and tough as you will see as per my previous post…The experiment that went wrong

That’s my two cents on the food situation; back to studying J

Oh! You can check out the grocery store website at http://www.mystoresaba.com/About_Us.html.


1 comment:

  1. I must admit that I just caught up with your last 4 posts, I been busy at work and haven't had a chance to do my usual mid-day surfing in a long time. Your next blog should be about what tourists can do on the island. That's right Katie and I will be coming there sometime soon, we can talk about it when you get back. Love you lots keep up the good work, it's very good.

    ReplyDelete