Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dear Class of May 2011, Packing

This by no means is a complete and comprehensive list. It is more of an idea of things I brought or wish I brought that would’ve been useful. The ValueMD blog has a whole thread dedicated to lists for packing. Mine will just complement it.

In terms of packing the easiest way for me was to make a lists so here we go…

School supplies:

If you are a person who likes to write out notes BRING PAPER. Paper is scarce on this island.
BRING PENS and other supplies you would think you need. School supplies in general are hard to get ahold of. Ie Highlighters and colored pencils. Cue cards – if you study off of them.
The desks in both dorms are provided with lights – I brought my own desk lamp but haven’t really used it.
I haven’t really printed much out but if you like paper notes there are people who use the library printers and pay for each page. Some people brought their own printers (be sure to bring enough ink supply if you chose to do so).
The BEST decision I made was to bring dry erase board – so if you like to draw out pathways and memorize by writing stuff out then it’s a great idea! ( I got mine from Staples just make sure that is has the double sided adhesive tape as you cannot nail anything in the walls- they are concrete).
A chair cushion would be helpful as the chairs in the dorms are hard wooden ones and once you sit 5 hours per day they tend to get uncomfortable!
I also brought small desk organizers – if you don’t have room you can just use the desk drawers and shelves (plenty of space!)
USB or external drive comes in useful

Personal Supplies (room and kitchen):

- febreeze spray, incense, dryers sheets for clothes or room freshner
- clothes hangers
- laundry bag
- multi-plug outlet
- if you are residing in Hillside and have room in your luggage bring a non-stick frying pan (If you are in Matthew Dorms you will be stuck with the microwave and fridge – rice cooker is always a good idea.)
- Foramen Grill!! Amazing and useful for fast cooking and making hot sandwiches
- small cutting board – if you cook, even just a little it is useful instead of cutting on plates.
- sticky hooks for hanging/ decorating your room
- over the door hooks for towels and other clothes (great and take up very little space)
- cleaner for glasses (if you wear them – serves as a dual cleaner for computer)
- cheese grater à not supplied in the kitchen and you would be surprised how many times I wanted to use one (especially if you cook)
- extra razor blades
- EXTRA pair of shoes for anatomy lab (closed toe preferably)
- travel coffee cup
- zip lock bags, elastics
- spices that you cook with at home – they are expensive here!!
- ENTERTAINMENT: DVD’s, favorite TV shows because you will need a break and the library has a very old selection of movies and the internet is quite slow to stream.

In terms of clothes bring comfortable clothes because you will be sitting in class from 8-12 then go home and sit (again) to study. Bring one/two nice outfits for the white coat ceremony and the midway party; as well as clothes for going out to dinner and hanging out J (yes you will have time to do this once you get used to the pace!!)
Running shoes for hiking/ working out.
My rule was to bring clothes that are easily washed and packed. But I didn’t go out shopping specifically for island clothes – bring what you have.
Make sure to bring cardigans/ sweaters since they tend to keep the classrooms blasting with AC.
Oh and bring a tank top/ undershirt that you can dedicate to smelling like formaldehyde for the next 4 months!!
I realized I never posted pictures of our dorms so check it out below -- this is Hillside 1. I think you will get your dorm assignments soon.

Part 2 will be focused on food on the island!!! 








13 comments:

  1. the wish list will help with packing for the second semester...but i'll wait for you t come home so we can go shopping together...one more big push though....Doina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!

    I am starting in May and I just wanted to thank you! your blog is so great, and this wish list was so heplful...there were at least 3 or 4 things on there that i was thinking about bringing, but wasn't sure. And I never even would have thought of clothes hangers!

    I have a question though: what about towels and bed sheets? are they provided in the dorms? or should we bring our own?

    Also, how does internet work in the dorms? is the cost split among roommates? is there a good enough connection for skype?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sara,
    The dorms provide you with 1 large towel and 1 face towel as well as bed sheets. BUT I suggest bringing your own. 2 sets of bedsheets and 2 towels should be okay so that you can rotate them with the laundry schedule. (laundry service is offered at both dorms its about $11 per load. They wash, dry and fold it for you while you are in class). Plus having bedsheets from home is comforting :)

    As for the internet, talk to your roommates once you get your assignments sent out. We split our cost and it's working pretty well (skype is decent.. video and voice work but sometimes not both at the same time).
    You have two options... buy a package from Satel, the internet company. They will hook up the wireless and everything. It's about $40/month + installation fees - depending on the package you get (different internet speed). If not, some of my friends are paying per hour and just buying credit when they need it. If you all agree on setting up a wireless connection in your room, call Satel ahead of time and ask them to hook up the phone line in your dorm before you get here. That way you will have DSL internet and can share the cord until the wireless is up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you use a cellphone while you were there? (thanks so much for all the info!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @j:
    Satel, the internet and phone company on the island, gives you a phone for free if you are a first semester. Its a motorola phone I believe, but it works! the catch is that you have to buy a card with minutes and re-fill it every month (even if you don't use up all your minutes). I haven't refilled mine for the last month and a half since I didn't really use it but some talk home on their phone because it is free incoming calls. In any case the phone is good to have to call taxi's, order food etc. I know some people have used their iphone on the island... not too sure how it works but I'm sure you can figure it out once you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am from Toronto as well, and I'm starting in May. I've read through your entire blog! Thank you so much for writing about your experience. Now, I know what I should pack and what to expect when I arrive.
    I'm wondering what you did to show proof of medical insurance. Did you just use OHIP, or have you applied for extra insurance from some other place?
    Thanks in advance!

    P.S. Good luck on your upcoming exams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay, great to hear from another Torontonian :)

    I bought extra travel insurance (21st century). I know the school also offers a package. I don't think the OHIP insurance is enough but you should send an email to the school's administration office for a better answer. It's important to clarify since the regulations have changed when we were taken over by the Dutch this past January. I believe its one of the requirements to obtain a student resident card/status.
    Try emailing Tara Every at t.every@saba.edu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your reply! I have another question (hope you don't mind). Did you open a bank account on Saba, or are you operating a US dollar account from home on the island? If you have an account from home, from which bank?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Kay: I didn't open a bank account. I have a VISA US dollar card and pay most of my groceries with that and take out US cash from the ATM every couple of weeks. The exchange rate at the ATM + charge makes it inefficient to use it on a weekly basis so I just take out a big chunk each time.
    I know some students who have opened up an account at the bank. Not sure if it's easier. I think its mostly for depositing travellers checks and things like that.
    It depends on the person and what they feel comfortable doing. You don't need a lot of cash on the island... your expenses are usually just for food. Oh and I am with TD bank.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh my you are soo pretty. Can I come visit you :) Say my hello to the chinese restaurant owners in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are there any students that bring their spouse and children? If so where is the best accommodation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, there are some students with spouses and/or children every semester. They usually set up accommodations with the school administration before coming to the island (non-dorm). I would recommend staying in the bottom if you are not set on having an ocean view - I think it would make it much easier if you are of walking distance to the school (that way you can even go home at lunch to see your family). Windward village is also a good spot as it is close to all the amenities and restaurants. Not sure I'm the best person for this advice but call the administration of the school and get their advice... you can even ask them to put you in touch with a current student in the same situation, I'm sure they would be glad to give you some advice.

      IDL

      Delete
  12. I just found your blog, I leave for Saba in about a month. I am a very non-traditional student of 62 years but I am so excited to be starting this adventure. I have spent the past 8 years getting my PhD studying moose ecology so I am used to a bit of study but nothing like the pace I am expecting. Again, thanks so much for this blog. You present an accurate picture of life on the island and life in med school without all the negative hipe about Caribbean med schools. At my age, I could never get into an American school but I feel blessed to be going to Saba.

    ReplyDelete